Friday, February 1, 2013


GOVERNMENT FUNDING

I used to be obsessed with my cousin Jessica. Absolutely head over heels. At family reunions, she was the only person I wanted to see. Something about her confidence and spunk caused me to be quite infatuated with her. As I grew older, I began to admire her strong Christian values and leadership skills. I knew one she would one day be the epitome of a dedicated mother and loving wife.

One event changed everything.

She had a baby. She wasn’t married and she had a baby. Then she refused to get married because she said the government would give her more money if she was a single mother. The entire family was stunned. Of all people, Jessica was the last person anyone thought would pull this.

Pre-marital sex has quickly shifted from a disgrace to a fad in America’s society. Hollywood portrays sex as an enjoyable hobby available to everyone, yet fails to include the damaging effects that follow. Many young girls are left pregnant with no one to turn to. Their boyfriend disappears and their parents are enraged, forcing the girls to rely on the government for support.

I think that the government is doing more harm than good by funding this behavior. Girls are assured that they will be taken care of if they happen to get pregnant - giving them no reason not to. Instead the government focus needs to be on educating students of the many obstacles that come along with raising a child by themselves.

What do you think, is this something the government should be funding?

2 comments:

  1. I think you are completely right in saying this. I attended an all girls, Catholic high school, so pre-marital sex and its affects were often a hot bed of discussion. Many teens just feed into the mentality that since everyone else is doing it, they might as well too. Many of these kids are uneducated in what could result from it, so, yes, education on this topic wouldn't hurt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree as well. I believe pregnancy should definitely be something girls get educated on. I have 4 older sisters, and all but 1 has gotten pregnant as a teen. I know if they would have been better educated on the subject things would be different. They all contribute to society by working to try and support their family, although, sometimes ends just dont meet, and government assistance is all that helps them pull thru. I dont believe the government is doing more harm than good, I believe some just choose to abuse their resources.

    ReplyDelete