Wednesday, February 20, 2013


NURSING HOMES

My great grandmother, Jewel, was 84 when she died. The years leading up to her passing were hard. She was constantly in poor health and increasingly hard to please. The last 4 years of her life she lived in a nursing home that smelt like death. We all felt obligated to pay her regular visits, but walking through heavy doors only to be met by white walls and blank stares was anything but easy.

For a long time I didn’t understand why my great grandmother was in such an awful place. We had the money to house her anywhere, but we put her in such a dump. Why? She was such a kind-hearted woman and had been so good to all of us. I thought that it was insulting that we let her spend her last years in such a place. It wasn’t until after she passed away that I found out why. My grandmother had visited the nursing home every day that my great grandmother lived there. Every single day she spent at least an hour by her side, talking, watching t.v., or playing cards. She had picked this place not because it was nice and pleasing for visitors, but because it was less than 5 minutes from her house, and she wanted to be able to spend as much time as possible with her mother.

I used to think that America treated their elderly in such an outrageous way. Pushing them into nursing homes where they were left to die. But after seeing how my grandmother handled her mother, my opinions have changed. Keeping an elderly relative in your home is quite physically and emotionally draining. And many elderly people realize this. I think that what my grandma did worked out perfectly. My great grandma wasn’t in her house, but she was close enough so that my grandma could be there in the drop of a hat. I respect the cultures that take in the grandparents when they can no longer take care of themselves. It is bold and a ton of responsibility, but I just don’t think it is realistic for everyone. What do you think? Is it cold to leave your grandparents in a nursing home? Do you want to live in a nursing home??

5 comments:

  1. I don't think it's right to have your grandparents living in a nursing home. In my household, they live with us now and helped raise me. It is only right that we help them as we grow older.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think making the decision on whether or not to house your elderly loved ones in a nursing home or not could go both ways. As you stated, keeping your loved one in your home to care for them is emotionally draining. And also, some families may not know how to properly take care of the ones they place in a nursing home, while nursing homes have staff who specialize in that area; some more than others. On the other hand, some may see placing their loved ones in a nursing home as neglecting them or sort of being too lazy or insensitive to carry on the burden of taking care of them. I feel like if it's the best and most genuine decision for the family, I would approve of either choice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I were in a nursing home I would probably would not last long. The solitude and feeling of neglect from society would probably be the end of me. I wish for when I am of that age I would have accumulated enough wealth to buy a small plot of land and lead a nice and quiet agrarian life till my biological clock allows.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Every time I have visited a nursing home, I get such a sad, lonely vibe, and thats that I would only go to sing Christmas carols.. my grandmother came to live with us so she wouldn't have to live on her own, and that forced her to be more involved in our lives and have things to look forward to attending. I wouldn't like to see my grandparents be put in a home.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Personally, If circumstances permitted I would rather keep my loved ones in my home. Although, there are many benefits to living in a nursing home. I believe that depending on the circumstances, it comes down to where the elderly individual will ultimately be best cared for. Good work!

    ReplyDelete