Friday, March 1, 2013


EMILY

She did not have to care; in fact, she had plenty of reasons not to. Once patients came to the facility, they were predicted to last five years maximum, but few made it that long. Most were irritable, nagging, and hard to communicate with. She worked long hours and was severely underpaid. Work at the nursing home was physically and mentally strenuous, yet Emily managed to push through all the barriers and create a thoroughly enjoyable workplace for anyone who had the opportunity to experience Emily at her work.

My great- grandmother lived in the nursing home for three years. During that time, I began to recognize several of the staff members. Each one was the same: performed the duties assigned mechanically and without emotion. It was more than obvious that they were there for the paycheck, not the patient. One day on a visit, my great- grandmother asked for Emily. I had never heard her request anyone before, so I was interested to see this Emily. As soon as she walked into the room I understood. She smiled. She was young. She was pretty. She greeted my great- grandmother by name. She moved about the room efficiently, yet with meticulous grace and care. Emily made conversation with us as she worked. It was not long before her name began to echo down the halls, since she was the only worker who took the time to learn how each individual liked things done. As soon as she finished in our room she excused herself and pursued the next need.

I had the pleasure of experiencing Emily several additional times before my great- grandmother passed away. Each encounter was short, since she was in very high demand, yet long enough to instill valuable lessons. Emily did not have it easy. She was a single mother working a rough job, but she did it. She poured her heart into her children as well as her job, and never seemed to lose her cheerful smile.

What amazes me about our culture is the way people chose their jobs. People spend years upon years and rack up hundreds of thousands of dollars getting an education. Others never make it through high school and find a job that makes them satisfied beyond words. Meeting Emily made me realize that I could make my career all about me and my glory or chose to make it beneficial to those around me.

What about you? What are your motives for pursuing your career?

5 comments:

  1. As college students, we are blessed with the possibility of more career options and more opportunities to test out what jobs make us happy. I have no idea what I’m going to do after I graduate, so right now I'm learning about what might interest me by taking a variety of classes. Your story has inspired me to appreciate each job that I have as if it were my dream job because one day I will find what I’m supposed to do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every potential career path has it perks. For me a career in health care is something I've always wanted to do. I look forward to the awe of discovering the human body, the honor of being trusted to give advice and the feeling of joy for helping someone through a difficult illness. From the words of Ralph Waldo Emerson, I plan “to leave the world a better place...to know even one life has breathed easier because [I] have lived. This is to have succeeded.”

    ReplyDelete
  3. To be honest I chose my major because I felt it was the safest option for me. I worked for a number of years as an electronics technician. I decided to major in electrical engineering because my background gave me some idea of what the industry is like. I didn't want to choose a major in something like History or Biology because I felt it would be like starting all over.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The reason I chose my major is because there is one thing that humans need to survive in this world, nutrients. My major encompasses the aspects of food as a scientific discipline. The physicochemistry of food systems and how they are produced from raw material to finished consumer goods. What drives me is the science behind it, it is awesome to apply science rather than have a coffee sit down and try to think what is.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to say I chose my major thinking of myself. I chose something I enjoy: Nutrition. I want to help people and make their lives better. However when I'm suffering through organic chemistry or math I'm not thinking "it will all be worth it because I can help people all day". I'm thinking "it will be worth it because I'll have a job I love and make enough money to have the type of life I want with a two story house, kids and a dog".

    ReplyDelete